Mario’s LEGO debut is August 1st, 2020 and we can preorder his flagship kit for ourselves. Its called the Super Mario Adventures with Mario Starter Course. This kit retails for $59.99 and contains 231 pieces.
Of course since people are inherently angry about any toy item that doesn’t suit their immediate narrative and convenience, there are already 1-3 star reviews on a kit that hasn’t even made it to market yet. But before getting upset, I think there are a few angles to look at here. First off, this is (again) Mario’s LEGO debut. Which means there will be collectibility right out the gate for adult collectors. LEGO lovers are used to seeing Disney and Marvel kits going for $20-$50, sure, but how much are Star Wars and Harry Potter kits? Pricy, right? We also have to admit that we have no idea what LEGO is paying for use of that Mario license. It’s probably a beast.
We also have to keep in mind the technology that is inside the Mario figure himself. This is not your standard LEGO minifigure. This is a chunky small doll with LCD screens in his eyes, a speaker inside of him, and 100+ sound effects and music cues. There are many play opportunities for children. This is lends itself to imaginary play for older kids and that is important. Just don’t let your toddler mouth it, because the flashing lights and sounds will stim them all day.
Sure, I’m justifying the price of this item because for me, I’m willing to pay for it. If you don’t like it, don’t. It’s not meant for you, I guess. The Super Mario Adventures with Mario Starter Course kit is limited to 2 per customer and you can preorder it today from:
Official LEGO Description:
Kids can team up with their favorite character in the real world with this LEGO® Super Mario™ Adventures with Mario Starter Course (71360). The set features a LEGO Mario™ figure that gives instant expressive responses via the LCD screens and speaker. Players earn virtual coins moving LEGO Mario from the Start Pipe to the Goal Pole via spinning and cloud platforms, the ? Block, and super battles with the Goomba and Bowser Jr. toy figures. Rearrange the bricks to create new levels to master.
A free LEGO Super Mario app is available for enhanced play with this gift toy for kids. It has zoom and rotate viewing tools to make building easier, suggests other creative ways to build and play, and is a safe forum to share ideas with friends.
Great for solo play or group competitions, LEGO Super Mario sets bring a family-favorite character into the real world. This Starter Course and the Expansion Sets offer unlimited challenges and nurture problem-solving skills.
- Fans can begin exploring the fun-packed LEGO® Super Mario™ universe with this Adventures with Mario Starter Course (71360), featuring 7 action bricks for different interactions with the LEGO Mario™ figure.
- LEGO® Mario™ has color sensors, plus LCD screens in his eyes, mouth and belly to display over 100 different instant reactions to movement. Also included is a speaker that plays iconic sounds and music from the video game.
- In this super toy playset, LEGO® Mario™ collects virtual coins as he runs and jumps from the Start Pipe to the Goal Pole via LEGO bricks, cloud platforms, the ? Block and clashes with the Goomba figure and Bowser Jr.
- This 231-piece, collectible LEGO® toy playset makes a cool birthday or holiday gift for kids aged 6+ who can build and play their own way and learn to solve problems while having lots of creative fun.
- Rearrange the Starter Course and combine with LEGO® Super Mario™ Expansion Sets to create more challenging levels and games to play with and against friends.
- The LEGO® Mario™ figure is powered by 2 x AAA batteries (not included), delivering a highly interactive in-game experience where players get instant feedback and rewards for creativity.
- Kids will love the free LEGO® Super Mario™ app, which has building instructions, inspiration for fun, creative ways to play, and more. For a list of compatible Android and iOS devices, visit LEGO.com/devicecheck.
- Great for solo or group play, interactive LEGO® Super Mario™ toy building sets bring a family-favorite character to life in a unique way and offer unlimited creative challenges through expansion and rebuilding.
- Builders will not need a Super Star’s power to connect or pull apart LEGO® bricks! Ever since 1958 they have met the highest industry standards to ensure consistency and robust building.
- LEGO® building bricks and pieces are dropped, heated, crushed, twisted and analyzed in almost every way you can imagine to ensure that every LEGO set meets the highest global safety and quality standards.