MEGA BLOKS Green Town is first-ever toy line available at mass retail to be certified CarbonNeutral®
Mattel is first toy company to incorporate certified renewable polymers from SABIC’s TRUCIRCLE program across its product offerings, starting with MEGA and select Matchbox products
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. — April 4, 2022 — Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAT) today announced an expansion of its sustainable product offering with the debut of new products from its popular MEGA and Matchbox brands. The expanded offering is in line with Mattel’s goal to achieve 100% recycled, recyclable or bio-based plastic materials in all its products and packaging by 2030.
New MEGA BLOKS Green Town™ Line
MEGA, the global leader in preschool construction toys, is helping to create a brighter, more sustainable future with MEGA BLOKS Green Town, the first-ever toy line available at mass retail to be certified CarbonNeutral. Just in time for Earth Month, four new MEGA BLOKS Green Town building sets support a greener way to play for little builders ages 1 and up in the following ways:
- Each playset, like the Build & Learn Eco House™ and the Grow & Protect Farm, is made from specifically a minimum of 56% plant-based materials and a minimum of 26% International Sustainability & Carbon Certification (ISCC*) certified bio-circular plastics (mass balance approach**).
- Each product is certified CarbonNeutral by Natural Capital Partners, the leading experts on carbon neutrality and climate finance. To achieve the CarbonNeutral product certification, MEGA purchased carbon offsets (less than 500 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalents) from the Darkwood Forests Conservation project in Canada.
- Packaging is created with 100% Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)-certified paper or paperboard, plus soy-based inks and water-based varnishes to enhance recyclability.
- Each set is designed to help teach green behaviors through play patterns, like waste sorting, using electric transport, protecting honey bees and choosing renewable energy sources.
Green Town building sets are available for pre-order on Amazon.com and have achieved the e-tailers Climate Pledge Friendly label.
Matchbox Driving Toward a Better Future and Matchbox Tesla Roadster
In 2021, Matchbox announced Driving Toward a Better Future, its product roadmap to make all Matchbox die-cast cars, playsets and packaging with 100% recycled, recyclable or bio-based plastic materials by 2030, in line with Mattel’s corporate goal. Illustrating these principles, Mattel is releasing its highly anticipated Matchbox Tesla Roadster, its first die-cast vehicle made from 99% recycled materials and certified CarbonNeutral. It is now available as a pre-sale item on Mattel Creations.
click to download
This year, Matchbox is introducing more products designed to have less impact on the environment and better reflect the real world, while also encouraging greener play patterns, including:
- New electric vehicle (EV) die-cast multi-packs featuring an expanded assortment of EVs from brands like BMW, Nissan, Honda among others.
- A new Recycling Truck made from 80% ISCC-certified bio-circular plastic (mass balance approach).
- Popular Action Drivers™ playsets using at least 40% ISCC-certified bio-circular plastic (mass balance approach).
- More products designed for recyclability, such as incorporating easy-to-remove and recycle e-waste electronics in all Action Drivers playsets and the new Recycling Truck.
- Video content to help parents educate their kids on the benefits of EVs.
“At Mattel, we are focused on developing innovative products and packaging that are better for our planet by integrating more sustainable materials and principles of product stewardship and circular design,” said Pamela Gill-Alabaster, Head of Global Sustainability at Mattel. “These new products from MEGA and Matchbox demonstrate our commitment to our 2030 goal to achieve 100% recycled, recyclable or bio-based plastic materials in all our products and packaging and to create a more sustainable future for the next generation.”
Mattel is incorporating certified renewable polymers from SABIC’s TRUCIRCLE program across its product offerings, starting with MEGA Bloks Green Town and select Matchbox products. Mattel is the first toy company to work with SABIC, a global leader in the chemicals industry, in a mass balance approach — designed to return second-generation renewable feedstock into high-quality new plastic applications.
MEGA and Matchbox are also part of Mattel PlayBack, a toy takeback program launched in the U.S., Canada, France, Germany, and the UK in 2021 designed to recover and reuse valuable materials from old Mattel toys.
Mattel is also encouraging greener play patterns and more sustainable behaviors through new resources available on Mattel.com/lovetheplanet. In honor of Earth Month, the site will feature sustainability-focused content throughout the month of April, including profiles of “Planet Heroes,” facts about our ecosystems, a guide on “How to Talk To Your Kids About Climate Change,” DIY eco-crafts, and lists of relevant movies and books to extend the learning process.
The expanded offering announced today adds to a growing list of launches that ladder up to Mattel’s corporate goal to use 100% recycled, recyclable or bio-based plastic materials in all products and packaging by 2030. Other products include Barbie Loves the Ocean, its first fashion doll line made from recycled ocean-bound plastic; Fisher-Price Rock-a-Stack and Fisher-Price® Baby’s First Blocks, made from bio-based plastics; UNO® Nothin’ But Paper, the first fully recyclable UNO® deck without cellophane packing materials; and three previously released MEGA Bloks sets made from bio-based plastics.
*International Sustainability & Carbon Certification (ISCC) is an organization that administers sustainability certifications for material feedstocks and markets on a global scale. The organization created a certification system that incorporates sustainability guiding principles, requirements for supply chain traceability, and chain of custody verification.
**Mass balance approach refers to the process of combining bio- or plant-based or recycled materials with conventional fossil materials during the production process, resulting in a final product that combines both recycled and fossil-based virgin materials. For more information visit here.
Mattel is a leading global toy company and owner of one of the strongest catalogs of children’s and family entertainment franchises in the world. We create innovative products and experiences that inspire, entertain, and develop children through play. We engage consumers through our portfolio of iconic brands, including Barbie®, Hot Wheels®, Fisher-Price®, American Girl®, Thomas & Friends®, UNO®, Masters of the Universe®, Monster High® and MEGA®, as well as other popular intellectual properties that we own or license in partnership with global entertainment companies. Our offerings include film and television content, gaming and digital experiences, music, and live events. We operate in 35 locations and our products are available in more than 150 countries in collaboration with the world’s leading retail and ecommerce companies. Since its founding in 1945, Mattel is proud to be a trusted partner in empowering children to explore the wonder of childhood and reach their full potential. Visit us online at mattel.com.
MatchboxTM Tesla Roadster (HHY23)
SRP: $19.99 | 3Y+ | Available: Spring 2022 on Mattel Creations
- The MatchboxTM Tesla Roadster celebrates the collaboration of MatchboxTM and Tesla withan authentic 1:64 scale die-cast replica that’s certified CarbonNeutral®.
- This CarbonNeutral® die-cast car is made from 99% recycled materials and comes in plastic-free packaging, including FSC-certified paper components and at homecompostable PaperFoam® tray.
- This cutting-edge vehicle is ideal for adult collectors who value the MatchboxTM commitmentto sustainability and its own realistic traditions.
- The MatchboxTM Tesla Roadster makes a great gift any car collector who loves the hottest incollectible toy vehicles.Matchbox® Recycling Truck (HHR64) SRP: $37.99 | 3Y+ | Available: Spring 2022 on Amazon
- The MatchboxTM Recycling Truck is a 15-inch, large-scale truck made from 80% ISCC-Certifiedplastic* and is packed with authentic features and details that make for awesome push-around play.
- Kids will instantly recognize this truck as the one they see hauling away their weeklyrecyclables. Press the buttons on top of the cab to activate sounds for added realism.
- Pull the lever to empty the curbside bin into truck, then head off to the recycling station todrop it all off.
- This large-scale truck makes a great gift for kids who love the hardworking vehicles ofeveryday heroes.
MatchboxTM MBX Electric DriversTM 12 Pack Vehicles (HGW60)
SRP: $16.99 | 3Y+ | Available: Spring 2022
- The pack included 12 MatchboxTM vehicles, all re-creations of electric powered cars andtrucks.
- The MBX Electric DriversTM 12 Pack comes in plastic-free, fully recyclable packaging includingan at home compostable inner tray.
- All 12 die-casts in the pack are made from recycled zinc and are perfect for youngMatchboxTM fans and die-cast collectors alike.MatchboxTM MBX Electric DriversTM 5 Pack Vehicles (HFK10) SRP: $6.25 | 3Y+ | Available: Spring 2022
- The pack included 5 MatchboxTM vehicles, all re-creations of electric powered cars andtrucks.
- The MBX Electric DriversTM 5 Pack die-casts are made from recycled zinc and comes in fullyrecyclable packaging made from FSC-Certified paper.
- The MatchboxTM die-casts and packs are great gift giving year round!
MEGA Bloks® Green TownTM Charge & Go Bus (HDX90)
SRP: $14.99 | 1Y+ | Available Now exclusively on Amazon
- Little builders can hop on the “Charge & Go Bus” and learn about green behaviorslike commuting and electric transport.
- This building set comes with 35 big building blocks including special pieces, and 1rolling wheelbase. Toddlers can build the rolling electric bus, 2 characters, a bus stop with charging station and 3 trees. They can drop off their passengers and stop to charge the bus before heading off to the next route. Your little one can even mix and match the 2 buildable characters.
- MEGA Bloks® Green TownTM building sets are certified CarbonNeutral® products by
Natural Capital Partners, the leading experts on carbon neutrality and climate finance. The packaging is 100% recyclable made from FSC-certified material.MEGA Bloks® Green TownTM Grow & Protect Farm (HDL07)SRP: $19.99 | 1Y+ | Available: May 27 exclusively on Amazon
- Little builders can lend a helping hand at the “Grow & Protect Farm” and learnabout green behaviors like buying local produce, learning about the water cycleand protecting honey bees.
- This building set comes with 52 big building blocks, including special pieces, and2 rolling wheelbases. Toddlers can build a rolling tractor, a barn, crops, a beehive, a turning windmill and 3 characters. Your little one can even mix and match the 3 buildable characters.
- MEGA Bloks® Green TownTM building sets are certified CarbonNeutral® products by Natural Capital Partners, the leading experts on carbon neutrality and climate finance. The packaging is 100% recyclable made from FSC-certified material.MEGA Bloks® Green TownTM Build & Learn Eco HouseTM (HCG36)SRP: $29.99 | 1Y+ | Available: June 3 exclusively on Amazon
- Little builders can learn about green behaviors like renewable energy, growing agarden, and electric vehicles at the “Build & Learn Eco HouseTM.”
- This building set comes with 89 big building blocks including special pieces, and 3rolling wheelbases.
- Toddlers can build a house, 4 characters, a rolling electric car, 2 rolling bicycles,greenhouse with veggies, solar panels and turning wind turbines. Your little one can even mix and match the 4 buildable characters.
MEGA Bloks® Green TownTM building sets are certified CarbonNeutral® products by Natural Capital Partners, the leading experts on carbon neutrality and climate finance. The packaging is 100% recyclable made from FSC-certified material.
MEGA Bloks® Green TownTM Sort & Recycle Squad (HDL06)
SRP: $9.99 | 1Y+ | Available: Spring 2022
- Little builders can join the “Sort & Recycle Squad” to learn about green behaviorslike waste sorting and recycling.
- This building set comes with 18 big building blocks including special pieces, and onerolling wheelbase.
- Toddlers can build the rolling recycling truck, then they can sort the compost,recycling and garbage, and color match them to their bins. Your little one can evenmix and match the 2 buildable characters.
- MEGA Bloks® Green TownTM building sets are certified CarbonNeutral® products byNatural Capital Partners, the leading experts on carbon neutrality and climate finance. The packaging is 100% recyclable made from FSC-certified material.