And no, this is not the same as the impending cartoon run by Kevin Smith that was announced at Power-Con. That’s right friends, there are two He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon series in development at the same time. What could possibly go wrong?
While I don’t want to enter this scenario pessimistically, it’s not very often that two series from the same franchise enter development for the same channel (Netflix) simultaneously. From the details we have, the He-Man Origins toy line will correspond to the 2D cartoon, the one that Kevin Smith is helming. This newly announced cartoon, seemingly out of nowhere, is CGI, and hopefully if there are toys created for it, they will look like He-Man 2002, because that design is turbo.
Eff it, Netflix, give it a try! Kids seem to like that new She-Ra cartoon, so let’s spend money and give He-Man two tries to get it right. I just feel bad for the executive and production team overseeing these things. Will there be any crossover in the productions? Are they completely separate? Will they even be created at the same studios? On a logistical level, it sounds like a nightmare. As far as the shows and the stories themselves?
Only time will tell.
New Masters of the Universe CGI Cartoon series details:
- Netflix and Mattel Television are producing an original animated adventure series, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.
- The CG animated series will reimagine the Masters of the Universe classic tale with all-new storylines and a fresh take on the iconic characters.
- This marks the second collaboration between Netflix and Mattel Television, joining the previously announced 2D anime series Masters of the Universe: Revelation with Kevin Smith.
- Logline: On the planet of Eternia, a young lost prince discovers the powers of Grayskull and transforms into He-Man, Master of the Universe! The classic battle between He-Man and evil Skeletor rages to new heights as both hero and villain forge new and mighty teams. A new generation of heroes fighting for the fate of us all. In the end, who will become MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE?
- The series is being produced by Mattel Television with Adam Bonnett (Descendants), Christopher Keenan (Justice League, Batman Beyond), and Rob David (Masters of the Universe: Revelation, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) serving as executive producers. The series was developed for television by Rob David.
- Emmy-winning producer and designer Jeff Matsuda (The Batman, TMNT) and Susan Corbin (Voltron) will also produce.
- Bryan Q. Miller (Arrow, Smallville, Sleepy Hollow) will serve as story editor on the series.
- Animation services are being provided by House of Cool and CGCG (Trollhunters).
- “Masters of the Universe is one of the most iconic global franchises of all time, with a 30-year history and a passionate fan base. The entire team at Mattel is excited to introduce the world of He-Man to a new generation and, together with the talented team at Netflix, to reimagine the classic characters in a way that appeals to kids and families today, while also resonating with the fans who grew up with them.” – Fred Soulie, Senior Vice President of Content Distribution and Business Development, Mattel.
- Mattel’s (NASDAQ: MAT) reboot of the classic Masters of the Universe franchise also includes a comic book series by DC Comics (available now), reimagined versions of the 80s toys (hitting retail shelves in the fall of 2020), and a feature film.